Saturday, April 17, 2010

Elko, Nevada


The first good sized town after Reno was Elko. We didn't know anything about it so stopped at the visitors center, which happened to be a very old original log cabin. There were other small log cabin buildings around it; a school house, barn, creamery, blacksmiths. The gal that was incharge at the visitors center was very friendly and helpful. She recommended we also visit the museum, which we did.

The logs were hand hewn with these neat dovetail corners. This is a very historic building that was moved to accommodate the visitors center.



The museum was one of the best I've ever seen. The history of the West was well depicted with artifacts, pictures and text. We didn't arrive until a little after 4 and it closed at 5. The lady in charge said we could come back the next day useing the same ticket, which we did.

I'm standing beside a stage coach which is similiar to the one my great grandfather Jackson Green use to drive from Northville to Lake Pleasant


I bet you never thought you'd see me serving behind a bar. This was in the museum. I found a paper cup and a bottle of water under the bar.

There was a huge room full of animal trophies. They were displayed very realistically. I'm not fond of viewing such things but this was done exeptionally well.

We stayed at an RV Park in Elko.

No comments: