Friday, February 27, 2009

ANTIQUE LADIES TRUNK

My Restoration Project
(One of my favorite things to do.)

About two years ago I found this trunk along the side of the road in Sharon Springs, NY.  Of course I back tracked, picked it up and brought it home. The outside was covered with leather, which obviously was in very poor shape, so I stripped the leather off.

 I did some research on it and discovered that it was a Ladies Hat trunk. It was made in Syracuse, NY.    These were called "Civil war Era, Gold Rush Half Trunk".  I found one like it on the web.

                                                         This is on the inside of the cover


I stripped all the hardware off it, polished the brass buttons, removed and painted the metal strip.  I didn't strip the inside paper lining even though it is in bad shape.  I wanted to have the original there, so I just polyurithaned over it, as is.  These are some of the tools I used.
Ta Da!
It's finished excepted for a new handle that goes on top
Now I have to decide where to put it and or what I'm going to use it for.

5 comments:

shari said...

It's beautiful! Now you need a hat...
http://www.shasta.com/suesgoodco/newcivilians/bonnet/bonnetbox.htm

Sue said...

That's incredible! How beautifully that turned out!

shari said...

Steve says he'll have the handle done this week for the trunk. He said to ask you (or dad) if the holes should go in the exact place or just leave them... He says they're a little off... check the pattern on the top.

Also, what color do you want it dyed? natural, lt. brown, dk. brown, black

Cheri said...

I love it! Very cool....and very nice work!

Cara said...

it's beautiful!!!!