Monday, November 10, 2008

Hurray...the Dam is getting fixed

I know that some of you reading this may not think this is very interesting BUT to me (and my family) it's been a long wait to get this done. We haven't been able to drive around the pond for 3 years. I know that everyone that uses the pond will be so happy it is fixed.

This is the erosion which has taken out over half the road by the dam.


Owen Jensen and Larry assessing the situation before Owen "digs" in with the backhoe.
The first "bite"

It scares me seeing the water drain out. I fear for the fish, but I've been told that there'll be enough water left in the pond for them until the dam is rebuilt.



Taking out the road
The water running out on the other side of the dam

The only sad thing about fixing the dam is that we are going to lose this beautiful clump of white birch. Their reflection in the pond is such a beautiful sight. I talked to Steve Cook, my cousins son, and he has told me how to preserve the logs. They have to dry out for a least a year before they can be used to build with. I've asked Steve if he could make me a bed from it and he assures me that he can and will.
Now we have to wait until the pond drains down about 2 or 3 ft before the next step. The upper part of the pond, near our cabin is going to be bulldozed as soon as the water level goes down. A lot of dirt has come down the creek over the years, plus lots of cat tails and weeds have grown up. The bulldozer will push the muck over into the neighbors front yard, which will bring them closer to the pond and also build up their yard.

TO BE CONTINUED !!!!!

1 comment:

Sue said...

Hooray! I know how much it's been on your minds about the dam! I can't wait to see the finished product! It will also be great for the neighbors to have that extra lake frontage!