Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Researching in NYC

I just can't seem to go anywhere
without researching something.

The first Surgeon in New Amsterdam
was my 9th great grandfather. I wanted
to find out where his house was. You'll
see on this map where it was. I was able
to find it. What a thrill it was to stand on
that corner and realize that he once stood there.

The upper map is New Amsterdam(Manhattan)

in 1660, with an overlay from 2009.

Close up of the area where Dr. Hans Kierstede's house was.

The house is circled in pencil.

When they dug out for the WTC they

used the fill which made 90 more acres of

land in lower Manhattan, which is the

blue area on the map.

5 comments:

Sue said...

How cool is that?! I can't wait to go see it for myself!

Anonymous said...

wow gail,I find not just the story truly amazing but more so you and your ability to be such a great navigator--and researcher--keep up the good work its all so interesting--thanks

joyce said...

i just found out I could sign my name on here anonymous has been me if you didn't already know--(smile)

Anonymous said...

So cool!
Kim

Josh said...

Gail,
This is fantastic news to learn! Thanks for the updates. I can't wait until we have the chance to visit some of these sights (and you).